Maybe you’re a new mom (like me), and want to start sharing your daily musings of the newest addition(s) to your growing family. Or perhaps you are embarking on an epic adventure, and want to document your travels (also like me), and have been thinking about starting a blog. I’m going to show you how to create a blog in 30 minutes or less!
Some of the links within this post are affiliate links. At no additional cost or inconvenience to you, I will make a commission if you chose to make a purchase.
In any scenario, you can create a blog or website easily without paying for a professional to do it. How to create a blog, is not only quick and easy, but is also a great way to generate income. I will touch on income generating through blogging on another post. In this post I am going to break down step by step, how to create a blog in 30 minutes or less, (seriously!).
First of all, you will need a reputable, and powerful website hosting company. The one I personally use can provide you a domain name for free, and website hosting for as little as $3.95/ month! We can all admit that we spend more than $3.95 on our daily coffees! Click HERE to access this exclusive Bluehost offer using my link.
For the past 5 years or so, I have only trusted BlueHost with my hosting and website maintenance. Bluehost has been around for 15 years, and are by far the most trusted hosting company for startup blogs. Bluehost is extremely user friendly, and the customer service and amazing support team is what keeps me a returning client. Therefore, I am confident in recommending them to our readers, because I know you will love them as much as we do. There are several other web hosting companies out there, however, as a new blogger, Bluehost is an industry wide favorite for those just starting out.
Creating an account with Bluehost:
- To start, if you haven’t already, head over to Bluehost and click the big green ‘Get Started Now’ button.
- Now you have to choose a plan. There are 3 to choose from, however it all depends on what you want to gain from your hosting provider. For me, I have always gone with Prime which is on sale for a limited time for $5.95 per month. This ensures that I never have to worry about any of the back-end of my website. I always know that it will be running when it should be, loading at super speed, and giving my readers the best possible experience from a technical standpoint.
- Now that you have selected your plan, the fun part begins! Time to actually create a blog! What are you going to name your website?! I cannot tell you how difficult it was to come up with “The Christopher Collective”. I used to have a blog called Salt & Whiskey, but after blogging about food for 2 years, I decided that I wanted to re-brand and create a blog that was transparent and versatile. This may actually be the hardest part of the process, because it is really difficult to move websites if you want to re-brand. You can learn more about The Christopher Collective here, and how the brand came to be! Think about you brand and your blog name, if you already have one, great! If not, then take some time to do some research. Are you a mom blogger? A traveler? Do you have a product to sell, or maybe you are an avid foodie with recipes to share. Whatever it is, your domain name should represent you and you brand.
- Finally, enter your payment information, and you have now created your website! I highly recommend paying annually (or longer if you can). There are monthly and 6 month options, however I have found that it is such a pain to keep track of auto renewing multiple subscriptions, especially if it is quarterly. I try to keep everything annually around the same time of year. Also, you get a nice discount if you purchase annual subscriptions. Keep in mind that if you do choose to go a quarterly route, that you are backing up your website regularly.
- Once you are logged into the Bluehost Dashboard, click “cpanel” right under the “hosting” tab at the top of the page. This brings to you all of the shortcuts Bluehost has created. Under the “websites” box click “install wordpress”.
- Enter your domain name, and leave the directory box blank. Doing this allows your main page to become your blog, however the installation can take a few minutes. Once this is done, you are all set!
- Bookmark www.[yourwebsitehere].com/wp-admin. This is how you will log into your website. It seems like a silly simple step, but trust me, it is so helpful to have it bookmarked.
Finally, the last step to create a blog is to customize it! And there are endless customizing options with WordPress. You can find hundreds of WordPress themes under the “Appearance” tab of the WordPress sidebar. Click “themes”, then “add new theme”. There are lots of free options, and premium offerings like the one I am using from SculptureQode. Remember to have fun with writing an enjoy playing around with creating a unique look to your website. Check out Sculpture Qode to see other themes or to download the one I’m using HERE.
Did you find this post helpful? Did you create a blog using these steps, let me know in the comments! If you need help in addition to this post, please send us an email!